Various on qt4-mac

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 17 20:29:23 PDT 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 22:02, Michael Dickens wrote:

> * Looking quickly at the Portfiles for qt4-mac and qt4-mac-devel, I see
> not significant differences between them & the patch files.  Anyone know
> why the latter exists?  It's difficult enough to keep up the regular
> Portfile for the non-devel version (and, qt4-mac is actually ahead in
> version number).

qt4-mac-devel is for the latest development version of qt4-mac. Currently it is more or less equivalent to qt4-mac, but ideally someone would update qt4-mac-devel to a beta of 4.7.

> * Anyone know why both qt4-mac and qt4-mac-devel are built as "release
> and debug" combined?  Could we make a variant "+debug" which installs
> the combined version, but with the default being just the release?  I
> think there are many of us who are not Qt developers needing debug
> libraries, and having just the release will be enough.  With this
> variant, those who wish to do developing have that option.

I don't know. Perhaps having it be a debug build helps MacPorts developers when users report Qt-related bugs.

> * Anyone know why the pkg-config .pc files for qt4-mac are all of the
> "debug" variety?  Why not include the regular by default, the debug when
> using the "+debug" variant?

I don't know.