GSoC 2010: Call for Mentors

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Mar 12 10:54:01 PST 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2010-03-11 16:49 , Scott Haneda wrote:
>> I don't know much about GSoC, but I'm willing to offer whatever I can
>> from the perspective of someone who would not physically be there.
>>
>> I'm not even sure this is an on location "camp" style event.
>
> No, all communication and work happens online over the summer. Students
> work on their projects from May to September and eventually get paid by
> Google for that. The mentoring organizations provide mentors with which
> students can discuss their problems and from which they get help. At the
> end, mentors evaluate the project and decide over success or failure -
> which means if they get paid or not.
>
> Hope this explains how this is going to work,

Yes, thank you.  In that case, I think those who make decisions within MP know me from the lists well enough, that if there is some grunt work, or other aspect that no one else wants to step up to the plate for, I would be more than happy to repay my use of MP by sharing some of that workload.

Just let me know if I am needed, and what I need to do.