[GSoC-2010] UX improvements

Pratul Kalia pratul at pratul.in
Sun Mar 14 12:34:18 PDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Arno Hautala <arno at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> In addition to "search", installed packages would also be useful to
> see when running "deps" or "info".  Using color for this could help by
> highlighting either installed or missing ports.
> It could be useful to highlight a dependency or searched port that
> conflicts with a currently installed port.  I don't know if this case
> ever comes up where an alternate isn't available.
>
> Integrating port_cutleaves and port-rdeps may also be beneficial.
> Specifically, I think it's already been brought up that MP should
> track manually installed ports to aid in removing unneeded
> dependencies.  MP can already list port dependencies, why not
> recursive dependencies?  Recursive dependents would also be useful.

Possibly. I think that's a good idea as well.
However, I had a talk with Rainer (Raim) on #macdev concerning this
idea. He recommends that something "decoupled" like this wouldn't make
for a good GSoC proposal. So, I'm going to leave this idea open;
something I'll probably hack on myself someday.

The other idea that has now started building my interest is MPWA. I'll
start a new thread about that, however.

Thanks!
Pratul

--