[GSoC-2010] The Autobuild idea

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Mar 16 15:08:21 PDT 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Pratul Kalia wrote:

> Going through the ideas list, I saw the Autobuild idea, which was
> built on further from Darwin Autobuild. The system comes across as
> what perhaps an organization might use if they use a lot of Mac FOSS
> stuff. Then they'd have a local binary repository, which would
> certainly speed things up.  Am I right in thinking this way?

I think that would be how some sites would configure things, though they would probably just want some way of mirroring the entire package distribution, in which case they might also make their mirror(s) available as a public service.  There should be one master repo of packages at macports.org, however, which leads to your next question:

> On an alternate note, has ports ever thought of a binary distribution
> system too? (like apt).

Yes. :)   It's one of those long-standing TODO list items that just never seems to get done.

- Jordan