binary distribution

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Tue Mar 16 18:16:27 PDT 2010

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Pratul Kalia wrote:
>> On an alternate note, has ports ever thought of a binary distribution
>> system too? (like apt).
>
> Yes. :)   It's one of those long-standing TODO list items that just never seems to get done.

wouldn't that be a bit complicated ?

At present I've got 4 (four) CPU architectures on my computers:
PPC G4
Core Duo
Core 2 Duo
Core i7
that seem to be binary incompatible

I actually like the FreeBSD ports idea of 'just' downloading the source
and doing the make/compile/install locally with all of the options of
the different variants

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa