[GSoC-2010] MPWA

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Mar 22 13:26:48 PDT 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 1:10 PM, Pratul Kalia wrote:

> While I'm not very sure about what all the community would need in the
> web app, other than in interface to view details on ports and a
> possible "online submission of new ports" method, I see 2 possible
> approaches to the problem:
>  - A separate web application running on web2py or Django
>  - A Trac plugin (since ports already uses Trac for issue tracking)
>
> A Django/web2py application would mean working on integrating with the
> Trac install (for example, SSO). On the other hand, a Trac plugin
> wouldn't offer that much flexibility but would make integration much
> easier.

I'm not sure making the entire app a Trac plugin would help, and it seems to me like it would just add hurdles to work around. You could create a Trac plugin that adds MPWA data to Trac's UI, but in my opinion, MPWA itself should be a separate app. You can assume both the plugin and the web app have access to each other's database, or you can rely on RPC between the two.

As for SSO, you (and anyone else) should just plan to fake it during GSoC and let me (as the Mac OS Forge admin) integrate it later. Django has a very nice pluggable auth system which makes this easy, so I like that choice personally.

-Bill