[81499] trunk/dports/python

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Jul 31 23:57:02 PDT 2011

On 2011-8-1 16:49 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2011, at 01:45, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> On 2011-8-1 16:40 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> When would ${name} and ${subport} ever be equal?
>>
>> In this particular case, when the user runs 'port <action> py-bitstring'.
>
> But py-bitstring isn't a valid port, is it? I thought this port only provided py26-bitstring and up:

> Even if there were a Python 2.4 py-bitstring subport, why would one use "${name} != ${subport}" as a criteria to decide whether to install documentation or not?

As 'port info' would tell you, py-bitstring exists and depends on
py27-bitstring, as per python.default_version. This is done by the
portgroup.

> I suppose I should ask first, what impact has this unification of the python portgroups and ports had on the Python 2.4 ports? Are they still py-whatever or are they now py24-whatever?

They're transitioning from py-whatever to py24-whatever. The unified
portgroup defaults to 24 for python.default_version, so existing
dependencies should continue to work. Modules that don't support 2.4 (or
where there wasn't a 2.4 version previously) can use a newer default.

- Josh