caching problem with wget used by MacPorts infrastructure

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed May 18 13:59:54 PDT 2011

On 2011-5-19 06:37 , Marko Käning wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a wget caching trap into which I fell already a few times with tarballs on BitBucket.
>
> When I experimented with tarball packaging and produced new versions of my files the downloading local wget would not realized that the file had changed on the remote server and therefore get the file from its own cache instead downloading the updated version.
>
> I wonder whether one could tell MacPorts somehow to disallow cache for wget using its option '--no-cache'…
>
> Is there anyone out there who noticed the same quirck and knows a solution to the problem?

Non-answers:

1. MacPorts doesn't use wget.
2. The server needs to be configured to use appropriate Cache-Control
headers (and Etags etc) to stop content from being incorrectly cached.

Answer:

Libcurl actually sends Pragma: no-cache by default, but we clear it in
our code in curl.c, and there's no runtime config to turn it back on. So
if you really need that, editing the source is the only way.

- Josh