Apache httpd 2.4.x layout

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon May 28 16:53:51 PDT 2012

> Nope ... I usually make a <Virtualhost> for htdocs
> For mysql I symlink into ${prefix}/var/db/mysql55/. MySQL has no problem
> picking that up after a restart or the server. That makes it possible to
> re-install MySQL completely without loosing data.
> I use the others in the <Virtualhost> container to keep those files out
> of the DocumentRoot.

For the sake of this conversation only, setting up a Virtualhost is effectively setting up an Alias: they're off in whatever directory they wish to be in and you still have to set Directory for both of them.

Since Ubuntu doesn't do this, and honestly I've not seen any other setup prefer Virtualhost over Alias, I'd say we should avoid that approach. Feel free to share docs to indicate otherwise.