Mid-Term Report

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jun 26 13:20:47 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Shashwat Pandey wrote:

> When installing a new port, the API displays all the dependencies of the
> port being installed and asks the user before installing them.
> $ sudo port install xfs
> --->  Computing dependencies for xfs
> The following dependencies will be installed:
>  bzip2
>  freetype
>  libpng
>  pkgconfig
>  xorg-fontsproto
>  xorg-libFS
>  xorg-libXfont
>  xorg-libfontenc
>  xorg-util-macros
>  xorg-xproto
>  xorg-xtrans
>  xz
>  zlib
> Continue? [Y/n]: n
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  No broken files found.

Great! I didn't test the code yet, so I don't know if it's already
implemented, but something I would certainly like to see (with or
without interactivity being switched on) would be also the list of
ports that will be upgraded. MacPorts sometimes prints the list of
ports to be installed, but then installs a (new version of a) whole
bunch of others as well. (That has always bothered me.)

I hope that these changes will be integrated to trunk soon.

Thanks a lot for the report,
    Mojca

(PS: Other things like port version, whether the port would be
installed from source or binary, size if binary, ... would be also
useful at this place, but certainly out of the scope of the project. I
just happen to be working on a debian box at the moment and that keeps
reminding me about the great features of a package manager that are
yet to be implemented in MP. ;)