Help needed - XMMS Couldn't Open Audio

anorexorcist ericpretty at go.com
Sun Dec 9 11:02:03 PST 2007

I get this error when trying to play music with XMMS 1.2.10:

Couldn't Open Audio

Please check that:
Your soundcard is configured properly
You have the correct plugin selected
No other program is blocking the soundcard
http://www.nabble.com/file/p14123014/Picture%2B1.png

This occurs with any sound files even though I do have the proper plugins
installed. esd.conf is probably to blame, but I don't know. I'm running an
eMac with built-in audio (Texas Instruments TAS3004) using MacPorts 1.5.0 on
OS X 10.5.1. Any help on this, please? I can provide more info if requested.

here's my esd.conf:

[esd]
# autospawning is not recommended, since it can't really be done
# right.  If you want your login session to be using a sound daemon,
# you should start it from the session controller, not some random
# app inside.
auto_spawn=0
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 2
spawn_wait_ms=999
# default options are used in spawned and non-spawned mode
default_options=