Help needed - XMMS Couldn't Open Audio

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Sun Dec 16 05:00:46 PST 2007

anorexorcist wrote:
> > I get this error when trying to play music with XMMS 1.2.10:
> >
> > Couldn't Open Audio

I'm glad somebody else in this list is interested in XMMS, which might
draw more attention to the program (and its port)!

I'm coming from Linux (yes, on my iMac) and XMMS still is one of my
favourite music players, not just for nostalgia.

To answer your question: are you sure that esd is running at all? I
created an alias (in ~/.bashrc) for xmms:

alias xmms='esd -nobeeps -port 16001 -tcp -terminate & xmms'

This starts esd together with xmms. I don't have a config file for esd
at all. Maybe one could leave away the "terminate" - check "man esd" and
adjust to your needs. Unfortunately this solution seems rather CPU
hungry, and my 1 GHz iMac cannot even play music without skipping
(although playback works very well under Linux using the ALSA output
plugin).

A few days ago I wrote a message regarding XMMS to the list, asking
whether somebody could make a port "xmms_osx_plugin". Ryan Schmidt gave
me advice on how to improve the Portfile I had created on the basis of
the XMMS port, but up until now noone could help with the more critical
plugin problem. Here is my message:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-December/007371.html

Regards,

Vlado

P.S.: I actually wrote this reply on December 10, but did not check
which address Mozilla Mail had chosen to reply to. Sorry for that.