py25-psycopg2 <-> postgresql81 not talking

Micheal Cooper cooper.me at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 17:36:00 PST 2007

I went through several attempts to install a django dev environment, and in
the process I installed different versions of python from dmg and macports,
uninstalled, etc. In the end, I uninstalled everything and then did:
`sudo port install py25-psycopg2`
which also installed postgresql81 and python25, then I did
'sudo port install postgresql81-server subversion'
after which I should be ready to go, but I am not.

When I run 'python manage.py runserver' in my django project directory, I
get:
raise ImproperlyConfigured("Error loading psycopg2 module: %s" % e)
django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Error loading psycopg2 module:
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/psycopg2/_psycopg.so,
2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.4.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/psycopg2/_psycopg.so

Using `sudo locate libpq.4.dylib` gives me:
/opt/local/lib/postgresql81/libpq.4.dylib
/opt/local/var/macports/software/postgresql81/8.1.10_0+darwin_8/opt/local/lib/postgresql81/libpq.4.dylib

I would rather have the system set up to rely on MacPorts so that I can
update/ upgrade with ease. I did install psycopg2 from a dmg before starting
over and installing through MacPorts, so I can only assume that the system
is looking for the old psycopg2 and not finding the one installed by
MacPorts.

I have not created anything yet, and this is only a dev environment I am
trying to set up, so I would be happy to delete a lot of stuff and start
from scratch again, but since I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled
with MacPorts twice, I seem to be missing someone.

Please advice, and thank you.

------
System Info:

MacBook Pro, Tiger