Universal Binaries

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Fri Feb 23 09:47:08 PST 2007

En/na Kevin Ballard ha escrit:
> In general, building something with MacPorts and shipping it as part
> of an application is a risky business. I strongly recommend building
> the library yourself instead of relying on MacPorts to do it.
>
> One example of this is the app HyperEdit. When the developer added the
> feature where HyperEdit can validate your HTML documents, he used the
> openjade port from MacPorts. Unfortunately this feature didn't work
> for anybody that didn't already have all of openjade's dependency's
> installed via MacPorts. I sent the author an email and he very quickly
> put out a new version that used the correct library linker paths to
> fix this problem.

well i can add a success story on bundling and shipping macport libs.
in our project, clam (http://clam.iua.upf.edu) we ship 3 audio-related
applications with many dependencies (qt3 and qt4 among them).
we created this python script very simple to use:
http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/clam/trunk/CLAM/scons/sconstools/addDependentLibsToBundle.py

you prepare the bundle and call:
addDependentLibsToBundle( "Annotator.app" )
it will recursively find all dependent (including indirect dependencies)
libraries, copy them the bundle Contents/Frameworks and change its
absolute path to the correct relative path.

hope it might be useful to others.
cheers,

pau

ps:
about binaries, we tried but found it too hard. we just have two boxes
(ppc+intel) and distribute two different packages -powerpc.dmg and
-intel.dmg. this way you have the bonus that the user downloads half the
size of a single universal.