Apache on Boot

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sun Jan 7 07:00:17 PST 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 2:38 AM, Salvatore Domenick Desiano wrote:

> o Let's see, I just did a new apache2 install the other day and ran
> into this
> o problem too. here's what worked for me:
> o 	- The ultimate problem, which I found by trying to start apache2
> o manually using "apachectl start" was that there is no httpd.conf
> by default.
> o (When you try to start apache, it tells you this).
>
> It took me a minute to figure this out, but I found this earlier, so
> it's got to be somehting else. (without this, Apache can't be started
> manually, either). Something, I think, is preventing daemondo from
> starting the server, but I don't see a facility by which daemondo
> could
> tell me what is wrong.

Sal,

There are debug flags you can pass to daemondo to get more
information. But I'd work backward. Working forward, here's how
things work:

	- launchd launched daemondo
	- daemondo invokes the wrapper scripts
	- the wrapper scripts, in this case, call either apachectl or httpd
direction (I forget which).

So I'd check in reverse order:

	(1) Can you launch httpd and/or apachectl directly/successfully?
	(2) Can you launch it through the wrapper scripts directly/
successfully?
	(3) Can you invoke daemondo directly to have it launchd the wrappers?

Depending on where that breaks down, you'll know more about where to
look. Did you "launchctl load -w /Libraries/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.apache2.plist" as root?

James