Porticus 1.0b1 Released

Arno Hautala fracai at mac.com
Tue Jun 5 18:33:09 PDT 2007

On 2007/06/05, at 21:13, Randall Wood wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2007, at 20:53, Richard Laing wrote:
>
>> Porticus is a Cocoa GUI for the MacPorts package manager. The
>> first beta has just been released and is available at http://
>> porticus.alittledrop.com. Any comments or feedback would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Features:
>> Viewing the current MacPorts categories
>> Installing, uninstalling, updating, activating and deactivating ports
>> Port variant handling
>> MacPorts self-update support
>> Growl Integration
>> Sparkle software updates.
>
> It is really insulting to have a MacPorts ports manager that uses a
> non-Macports means to update itself and that can not be installed
> via MacPorts. If you really want to contribute to our project, you
> would produce an application that is delivered via port, and that
> is as open as the rest of the MacPorts project is.

... or

Wow, it's great to see more contributions and interest in MacPorts
and its community!

One note though, it'd be great if the app could be installed and
updated via MacPorts itself.  If you need some help putting a
portfile together I'm sure the dev list could be of help.

Even better would be if it was, or will be, open source like the rest
of MacPorts.  Granted, not all software is open source and that is
not the only valid philosophy, but it's something to keep in mind or
consider anyway.

Personally, it's great to see another GUI layer for MacPorts.  I just
downloaded PortAuthority today and haven't yet had a chance to try it
out.  We'll see how the competition works out. :)
Sparkle is a great new update system and Growl is always nice to see.

Thanks for the notice, I look forward to trying it out.

>> The beta expires on 30th June 2007.
>>
>> I hope you find this useful.

Hopefully more will.

arno  s.  hautala        /-\        arno at alum.wpi.edu