/opt/local/bin/su and messed up macports

John Lauck recaffeinated at gmail.com
Thu May 3 05:21:56 PDT 2007

I think I messed up my macports installation.

Is there a subversion version 1.4.3_0 and 1.4.3_1 ?   From what I can tell
it's as if I installed two identical versions of several packages.  Is that
even possible?  Do these two versions of svn exist in the MacPorts
repository?

Also, I can't remember what package installs /opt/local/bin/su, but is it
really required?  I traced it up to some gtk+vfs package.  The dependents
list probably goes higher.  (I can verify these when I get back to my
Apple.)  How does that su command work in this case?   I noticed the file
because it took over Apple's `su` in /usr/bin since my PATH includes
macports /opt directories before the default OS X /usr/bin etc.  I'm
assuming the macports `su` doesn't have access to the OS X users because
when I typed `su -` it never lets me in (password always incorrect).  I
moved the macports `su` aside to another file so I could keep the rest of my
PATH info the same.  Has anyone had this experience?

If anyone can enlighten me on these issues that would be great.

John