Emacs and Leopard problems continue

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Feb 5 08:14:36 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 12:32 AM, Jochen Küpper wrote:

>> The leopard shipped emacs is linked with Carbon.  You don't NEED X
>> for that version if you use the app wrapper I sent out - it
>> supports the NATIVE window system.
>
> How is one supposed to find that out?

Run emacs. :-)

If you look at the startup screen text, you'll see:
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (mac-apple-darwin, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of
2008-01-30 on localhost

> Why is Emacs.app not part of Mac OS X?

Some of us tried mightily to ship the app wrapper, but the look-and-
feel just isn't up to snuff yet.  I have to agree that it's pretty
ugly, though I still think it would have been better to have it than
not.  Oh well.  Perhaps we can work on improving the Carbon port in
the interim.

> When / how long will this Carbon Emacs be supported?

There are no plans to stop shipping it this way.

- Jordan