cpanp error

Shawn Protsman protsman at mac.com
Wed Aug 5 13:53:55 PDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Shawn Protsman wrote:
>> /opt/local/bin/cpanp is not provided by a MacPorts port.
>>
>> Rather odd that cpanplus is not showing as being registered with
>> any macport.
>
> It just means that you installed it (without using macports). From
> the looks of it, you built it against perl5.8 but it's not working
> correctly.
>
>> I wonder if I should blow away perl5.10 and reinstall?
>

> I would recommend not using both perl5.8 and perl5.10 at the same
> time (just use the latest - perl 5.10 unless you have some reason to
> use 5.8 instead).
>
> One other thing to note is that if possible, you probably want to
> install your perl modules using macports instead of using cpan
> directly.

Hi Daniel,

I'd love to have just 5.10 on my system but I cannot remove 5.8.9_3.

@naiad ~] port installed | grep perl
   perl5.10 @5.10.0_2
   perl5.10 @5.10.0_3
   perl5.10 @5.10.0_4 (active)
   perl5.8 @5.8.8_3+darwin_9
   perl5.8 @5.8.9_1
   perl5.8 @5.8.9_2
   perl5.8 @5.8.9_3 (active)

I've removed everything else (in an attempt to clean it up and
reinstall 5.10) but 5.8.9 has dependencies:

@naiad /opt/local/bin] sudo port uninstall perl5.8 @5.8.9_3
--->  Unable to uninstall perl5.8 5.8.9_3, the following ports depend
on it:
--->  	p5-error
--->  	git-core
--->  	ghc
Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend
on perl5.8 first.

Suggestions?

--Shawn