cpanp error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 5 14:37:04 PDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 15:53, Shawn Protsman wrote:

> I'd love to have just 5.10 on my system but I cannot remove 5.8.9_3.
>
> @naiad ~] port installed | grep perl
>   perl5.10 @5.10.0_2
>   perl5.10 @5.10.0_3
>   perl5.10 @5.10.0_4 (active)
>   perl5.8 @5.8.8_3+darwin_9
>   perl5.8 @5.8.9_1
>   perl5.8 @5.8.9_2
>   perl5.8 @5.8.9_3 (active)
>
> I've removed everything else (in an attempt to clean it up and
> reinstall 5.10) but 5.8.9 has dependencies:
>
> @naiad /opt/local/bin] sudo port uninstall perl5.8 @5.8.9_3
> --->  Unable to uninstall perl5.8 5.8.9_3, the following ports
> depend on it:
> --->  	p5-error
> --->  	git-core
> --->  	ghc
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that
> depend on perl5.8 first.
>
> Suggestions?

If you have the current version of ports ("sudo port sync" gets you
them), p5-error and git-core do not depend on perl5.8 but on perl5,
which means that either perl5.8 or perl5.10 would work. You should be
able to forcibly uninstall them (port -f uninstall p5-error git-core)
and then reinstall them to get them to correctly record their
dependencies on perl5.

ghc requires perl5.8. A comment in that portfile reads "since
correctly handling whitespace is critical, only perl 5.8 is known to
work reliably." If you need more information than that you could ask
ghc's maintainer or the developers of ghc.