p5 modules, get me started on one

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 17:31:50 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:11:44PM -0800, Scott Haneda said:
> Hello, I need a little help.
>
> File::ReadBackwards
> If I start with this one, I can probably get the other 15 to work.
>
> If I look at another p5 module, as a way to learn:
>
> # $Id: Portfile 30247 2007-10-23 02:05:08Z redacted at macports.org $
> PortSystem 1.0
> PortGroup perl5 1.0

This is enacting group code (specifically version 1.0 of the perl5 group
code [1]).

> perl5.setup             Pod-Escapes 1.04

This is where the magic happens for a perl module port.  Basically you'll
want to do:

perl5.setup   File::ReadBackwards 1.04

(since 1.04 appears to be the current version).  This then causes several
bits for the port to be set automatically:  name (to p5-file-readbackwards),
version, info on how to download from CPAN, and how to build and install it.
The rest of the info in this port is descriptive and the checksums.

> maintainers             nomaintainer
> description             for resolving Pod E<...> sequences
> long_description        This module provides things that are useful in \
>                                         decoding Pod E<...> sequences.
> Presumably, it should \
>                                         be used only by Pod parsers
> and/or formatters.
> checksums               md5 00ea2e0d2e84ed98517a4616708b68d3
> platforms               darwin
>

> So there is not a heck of a lot in there.
> I did my best to get past these instructions:
> http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories
> I have /Users/me/macports/
>
> My sources file looks like this:
> file:///Users/me/macports
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]
>
> While I did do some tests, I am confused as to naming.  If I want to make
> a port for File::ReadBackward, what is my path to /Users/me/macports ?
> I think it will be /Users/macports/ports/p5(maybe)/file-readbackwards

You'll want to have this under /Users/me/macports/perl/p5-file-readbackwards
as this is in the perl category, and as mentioned above, will be named
p5-file-readbackwards.

Bryan

[1] - <http://guide.macports.org/#reference.portgroup.perl>