php5 & "port test php5"

drf drf at blackchairdvd.com
Fri Mar 27 03:35:55 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2009, at 15:00, drf wrote:
>
>>   My setup:   Mac Mini, 10.4.11, Xcode 2.5, GCC 4, MacPorts 1.7
>>
>> Everything compiles fine, there are some complaints about signedness
>> from the compiler, but it all looks ok.  But when I run the PHP test
>> suite, over 70 tests fail, including ones I wouldn't really expect,
>> like on the function easterdate().  I can not find any hints anywhere
>> on what might be happening, so I'm wondering if these tests really
>> are that important. Should a completely default, standard, stock
>> install of php5 with MacPorts pass all the PHP self tests fine?
>>
>> The thing is, when I set up everything myself (not using MacPorts to
>> compile php5) the same set of tests failed - the config of php5 did
>> reference various macport installed libraries, etc.  I am now at the
>> point where I am wondering if I ought to toss all of MacPorts and try
>> to install everything myself that is needed to compile php5.
>>
>> So any advice, pointers on where to look, or hints on 64 bit vs 32
>> would be greatly appreciated
>
> Hi. I'm the maintainer of php5 in MacPorts.
>
> On the few occasions when I have tried "port test php5", it did not
> pass everything either. Please feel free to enter into a dialog about
> this with the developers of PHP. I have not had the energy to do so
> myself. They're often quite rude in responding to bug reports and I
> haven't felt like being abused lately.
I checked out some of the test reports and the Expected Output was
hardly what the code would output as far as I could tell / program in
PHP....  So I'm not too worried.

> I recommend you use MacPorts for all your software installation needs,
> including PHP. You could build it all yourself, but it would be a lot
> of work figuring out things that we have already figured out in
> MacPorts. If the software available in MacPorts doesn't fully meet
> your needs, please bring it to our attention so that we can improve
> the ports until they do meet your needs.
I wanted to include a few extensions, and dropped one from the supported
list IIRC.  I also wanted to compile against an install of Percona's
MySQL - I could not find anything in the ports list of MacPorts related
to Percona.  Like I said, my install of PHP failed the same set of tests
the MacPorts compile of PHP did, so it's not something specific to
MacPorts I presume.

What to modify and how things worked in MacPorts was pretty obvious, so
it all went smoothly; I have PHP set up using MacPorts.  Thanks for all
your work and everyone else on MacPorts!

> I have not attempted to compile php5 as a universal binary or 64-bit.
> I would not be surprised if it did not work. If you try it and it
> works, or if you can figure out how to make it work, please let us know.

But if the test suite doesn't work, how does one really know...?   :)

doug