"No such file or directory" using Macports on Tiger

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 14 02:11:53 PDT 2009

Hi David,

On Oct 13, 2009, at 19:47, David A. Ventimiglia wrote:

> I tried installing plplot following these instructions,
> http://plplot.d*****p****.com/

Please do not refer to that web site for any information about
MacPorts. It is not authoritative, is inaccurate, and is not owned by
us. For more information about this situation please see:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/DarwinPorts

Please refer to http://www.macports.org/ for all official information
about MacPorts.

> with the command:
>
> 	sudo port install plplot
>
> and got the error pasted in below.  What does it mean, and how do I
> resolve it?  I find I often (always?) get errors like this when using
> MacPorts.  Perhaps my MacPorts is broken.  Is there a way to fix it?
> Maybe reinstall it?  Thanks.
>
> Best,
> David
>
> ---- BEGIN PASTE -----
>
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: autoreconf failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_lo\
> cal_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-
> libX11/work/libX11-1.3" && autoreconf --install -fvi " re\
> turned error 1
> Command output: sh: line 1: cd: /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_por\
> ts_x11_xorg-libX11/work/libX11-1.3: No such file or directory
>
> Error: Problem while installing xorg-libX11
> Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade pango failed

I'm not sure how you got in this situation. How did you initially
install MacPorts? On what machine, with what version of Mac OS X,
Xcode and MacPorts? Are you still on those versions or have you
upgraded (to what)? Have you run "sudo port selfupdate" to make sure
you have the latest MacPorts and port definitions? If you still
experience the issue, can you please clean the affected port ("sudo
port clean xorg-libX11") and then try again with the debug switch
("sudo port -d install xorg-libX11") and send us all the output so we
can try to figure out what's going wrong?