Ports applications are not shown to Mac Application menu

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 20 09:45:04 PDT 2010

On Aug 20, 2010, at 07:12, C. Santos wrote:

> I am new to bot Mac and MacPorts so I might have missed something.
>
> I've done sudo port install VLC and everything went fine, including its icon that was placed to Mac application menu.  The same happened with the game neverball.
>
> On the other hand, both claws-mail and bzflag were not placed to Mac Application menu.  I can only run both applications from terminal window.
>
> What am I missing?

I'm not sure what the "Mac Application menu" is. Do you just mean what you see in the Applications folder in the Finder?

Most software installed with MacPorts is command-line only, not to be launched by double-clicking something in the Finder. So I think the only thing you're missing is that this is how things are meant to work.

If there are individual programs that you believe should show up in the Applications folder that do not, you can file an enhancement request ticket for each port. But for most command-line programs, it can't be done simply.