history completion possible?

Ryan Matthew Balfanz rbalfanz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:47:49 PST 2010

I know this thread has been going on for some time, but I thought this
might be useful: "Command-line auto completion for Hadoop DFS
commands" http://blog.rapleaf.com/dev/?p=304

It's a programatic way to generate auto-completion using bash. I
imagine it would be possible to rework it to parse a .bash_history
file just as well.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Bradley Giesbrecht <brad at pixilla.com> wrote:
> Marko, this is a nice feature if I can remember to use it. Thanks for the
> thread.
>
> // Brad
>
> On Feb 18, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Marko Käning wrote:
>
>> The solution is to create a file .inputrc in home directory containing:
>> ---
>> # these allow you to start typing a command and
>> # use the up/down arrow to auto complete from
>> # commands in your history
>> "\e[B": history-search-forward
>> "\e[A": history-search-backward
>> ---
>> after typing something like "hg ci" the arrow keys will search now through
>> history and find any formerly executed "hg ci..." command string! Just what
>> I wanted!!! :)
>>
>> Refs:
>> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060825071728278
>> http://snipplr.com/view/11266/inputrc-mac-os-x--bashrc-linux/

Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html