Problems w/ MacFUSE & SSHFS

Johannes Ruscheinski ruschein at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:06:58 PDT 2010

Hi Daniel!

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
>>
>> Actually, think about it, I am not 100% sure of that first yes. A single process under the 32 bit kernel might still be limited to say 4G ram. Not sure.
>
> no.
>
> This is easy to test:

Cool!

> % cat foo.c
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main( void ) {
>        int big = 0x40000000;
>
>        for( int i=0; i < 16; i++ ) {
>                void * foo = malloc(big);
>                if( NULL == foo ) {
>                        printf( "%s", "malloc() failed, exiting\n" );
>                        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
>                }
>                printf("%d: block is at %p\n", i, foo);
>        }
>
>        return 0;
> }
> % gcc -std=c99 -arch i386 -arch x86_64 foo.c
> % ./a.out
> 0: block is at 0x100200000
> 1: block is at 0x141000000
> 2: block is at 0x181000000
> 3: block is at 0x1c1000000
> 4: block is at 0x201000000
> 5: block is at 0x241000000
> 6: block is at 0x281000000
> 7: block is at 0x2c1000000
> 8: block is at 0x301000000
> 9: block is at 0x341000000
> 10: block is at 0x381000000
> 11: block is at 0x3c1000000
> 12: block is at 0x401000000
> 13: block is at 0x441000000
> 14: block is at 0x481000000
> 15: block is at 0x4c1000000
> % arch -i386 ./a.out
> 0: block is at 0x200000
> 1: block is at 0x41000000
> a.out(73934) malloc: *** mmap(size=1073741824) failed (error code=12)
> *** error: can't allocate region
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> malloc() failed, exiting
>
> I don't know of a good reason for a normal user to run the 64bit kernel.

Also, I am not entirely a "normal" user.  I am a programmer who is
currently stuck in Java hell. Formerly I was a C++ developer.  I do
need to run a 64-bit JVM very occasionally because we sometimes deal
with huge datasets.   This implies that I simply run a 64-bit JVM all
the time.  I don't necessarily need to do this on my own laptop, but,
I do like being able to do it.  Also, I think that 32-bit environments
are on their way out apart from embedded applications.  I really
wonder wether Lion will even support running on 32-bit hardware any
longer?

--
Johannes

Obligatory current favourite quotes:

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as
false, and by the rulers as useful".
 -- Seneca
"I have more confidence in the methods of science, based on the amazing
record of science and its ability over the centuries to answer
unanswerable questions, than I do in the methods of faith (what are they?)."
 -- David J. Gross "Physics Nobel Laureate"

"Atheism is a religion to the same extent that not collecting stamps is a
 hobby."
 -- seen on Slashdot.org