Problems w/ MacFUSE & SSHFS

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Oct 21 12:18:38 PDT 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Johannes Ruscheinski wrote:

>> I don't know of a good reason for a normal user to run the 64bit kernel.
>
> Also, I am not entirely a "normal" user.

There are two reasons I'm aware of to run the 64bit kernel:

- You're doing driver development (so you want to test the 64bit version of your driver with the 64bit kernel)
- You're running a server and need the extra room you get with the 64bit kernel to tune things (but even if you think you're in this category, you probably aren't ;-) )

> I do
> need to run a 64-bit JVM very occasionally because we sometimes deal
> with huge datasets.   This implies that I simply run a 64-bit JVM all
> the time.

which runs fine on the 32bit kernel...

--
Daniel J. Luke