Gettext

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 22 11:42:47 PDT 2010

On Sep 22, 2010, at 02:40, Fabrizio Bartolomucci wrote:

>> All of your problems have been the same: you're building x86_64, but some dependencies have been built for i386. First it was gettext's dependency ncurses.
>>

>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26543
>>

>> Then it was libxml2's dependency zlib.
>>
>> Now it's gnome-doc-utils' dependency python26.
>>

>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26570
>>

>> You claim your MacPorts was installed after you upgraded to Snow Leopard, but all evidence says this is not true. Please follow the procedure specified in the Migration wiki page to fix your MacPorts installation.
>>

>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>>

> Actually at the beginning I had i386, but gettext did not compile: so I changed it to x86_64 and it went through. What should I set it to to have everything compiling?
> Anyway I shall follow the procedure you gave me and see what happens.

You should Reply All so your replies reach the mailing list too, not just me.

x86_64 is the default build_arch on Snow Leopard and it works fine. i386 is the default build_arch on Leopard and earlier and it works fine too. You can change the build_arch; this will sometimes fail to work since the ability to change build_arch is new in MacPorts. But certainly all dependencies must be built for the same architecture so unless you're willing to track each port down individually you should not change build_arch if you have already installed any ports. (That is, decide on a build_arch before installing any ports, and if you want to change build_arch, uninstall all installed ports first).

gettext builds fine for any architecture on any version of Mac OS X that MacPorts runs on, but it does of course require its dependencies to have been built for the same architectures.