gnome-doc-utils can't find gmkdir (was: Re: Gettext)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 22 12:01:00 PDT 2010

On Sep 22, 2010, at 06:43, Fabrizio Bartolomucci wrote:

> Done all but stomping again againt a gnome problem: what should I do?
> It seams there is missing a gmkdir: I tried to manually create it but it did not solve the issue.
>
> --->  Staging gnome-doc-utils into destroot
> Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: shell command failed
> Log for gnome-doc-utils is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_gnome-doc-utils/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gnome-vfs gconf dbus-glib gtk-doc gnome-doc-utils gtk2 atk jasper pango Xft2 xrender xorg-renderproto cairo libpixman shared-mime-info xorg-libXcomposite xorg-compositeproto xorg-libXfixes xorg-fixesproto xorg-libXcursor xorg-libXdamage xorg-damageproto xorg-libXi xorg-libXinerama xorg-xineramaproto xorg-libXrandr xorg-randrproto orbit2 libidl policykit eggdbus gnome-mime-data gsl texinfo lzmautils gtkmm cairomm libsigcxx2 glibmm pangomm gtkspell2 enchant aspell hunspell libwpg libwpd libgsf libbonobo poppler curl curl-ca-bundle libidn openjpeg poppler-data py26-lxml py26-distribute py26-numpy atlas gcc44 gmp mpfr gzip fftw-3 py26-nose py26-xml
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
>
> :info:destroot test -z "/opt/local/share/gnome-doc-utils/icons/hicolor/48x48/status" || /opt/local/bin/gmkdir -p "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_gnome-doc-utils/work/destroot/opt/local/share/gnome-doc-utils/icons/hicolor/48x48/status"
> :info:destroot /bin/sh: /opt/local/bin/gmkdir: No such file or directory
> :info:destroot make[6]: *** [install-iconDATA] Error 127
> :info:destroot make[5]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> :info:destroot make[4]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> :info:destroot make[3]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> :info:destroot make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> :info:destroot make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> :info:destroot make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Clean the affected port and try again. (A good first step to try anytime you encounter a problem.)

sudo port clean gnome-doc-utils

I suspect what happened is:

* You installed coreutils (which provides gmkdir)
* You configured gnome-doc-utils (which caused gnome-doc-utils to notice gmkdir and record its path in its configuration file)
* Maybe you built part of gnome-doc-utils and it ended with an error
* You uninstalled coreutils (gmkdir is now gone)
* You tried to install gnome-doc-utils again (which picked up where it left off and tried to use gmkdir because it was still recorded in the configuration file)

Cleaning gnome-doc-utils will remove all of its work directory, which contains the configuration file, so when you try again it will configure again, not find gmkdir, and thus not try to use it.