Gimp-app not responding - broken X11?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 21 23:42:44 PDT 2011

On Apr 22, 2011, at 00:50, Gabriele Kahlout wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> If you actually have anything installed in /sw/bin, /sw/sbin, /usr/local/bin, that's not supported when using MacPorts and could cause problems; you should remove anything installed there.
>
> So should I empty those folders or remove them from the path?

Yes, you should remove things in those directories. Their presence can interfere with some software in MacPorts that may look for files specifically in those locations, regardless of your PATH. Once you've removed things from those directories, of course, having those directories in your PATH serves no purpose so you can remove them from your PATH as well; see below:

> I've done the latter but they keep on getting added  at startup.

You probably mean they keep getting added every time you make a new terminal window, probably because your terminal startup script says to do so; edit that script and remove the lines that do that. Likely files are ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile...