issues following upgrade to Lion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 4 15:32:25 PST 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 14:04, Jim Anderson wrote:

> I upgraded to Lion find myself up to my neck in 'gators. Here's the sequence:
>
> 1. upgraded to Lion
> 2. switched to the 32-bit architecture since the Cisco VPN client doesn't support the 64-bit architecture

I assume you are talking about starting up with the 32-bit kernel instead of the 64-bit kernel? MacPorts shouldn't care what kernel you're running.

> 3. discovered that my old Apple Developer Tools also needed to be upgraded. ("which make" returned nothing.) Upgraded DT but did so while in 32-bit mode.
> 4. switched back to 64-bit mode
> 5. rebooted
> 6. "which make" still returns nothing

You either didn't install Xcode, or told it to omit (or didn't tell it to include) the command-line tools / UNIX development tools. See item 3 here:

http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html

> 7. tried to upgrade MacPorts but was informed that I hadn't upgraded Dev Tools. (My Developer Profile still shows 10.4.0 Mac OS SDK) But the Xcode page in the Mac Store shows Xcode 4.2.1 already installed

The Xcode page in the Mac App Store shows that you have the Install Xcode program installed. Run that program to actually install Xcode.

> So it seem I have no developer tools and can't reload them. Consequently, I can't upgrade (let alone use) MacPorts :(

Note that after upgrading to a new major release of OS X you will probably need to reinstall MacPorts and all ports. Read:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration