CMake and Fortran compiler

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 10 00:23:20 PST 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 19:33, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> But if I understand it right - when using llvm-gcc/g++ there is
> probably no chance to find a fortran compiler unless the user
> installed some "broken third party" variant? Is it OK to have llvm-gcc
> set as default compiler without any attempt to provide some
> alternative for fortran?

Yes, that is absolutely ok and normal. If you do not use a gcc variant, root uses the OS / Xcode default compiler, which is gcc-4.0 on Xcode 2 (Tiger) and Xcode 3.0 & 3.1 (Leopard), gcc-4.2 on Xcode 3.2 (Snow Leopard), llvm-gcc-4.2 on Xcode 4.0 & 4.1 (Snow Leopard & Lion), and clang on Xcode 4.2 (Snow Leopard & Lion) (except that root does not build with clang, so the root portfile is programmed to use llvm-gcc-4.2 if MacPorts would have otherwise selected clang).

No version of Xcode provides a fortran compiler. If you want fortran support, you use one of the gcc variants. This is not unique to root; it's typical of ports that use fortran. See:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#gcc