Suggest removing all python packages from macports repository

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:30:18 PST 2011

Hi,

I used to use python from macports. But it seems to be inconvenient and
many python packages are not available in macports. Once you start using
macport for python packages, basically you lose the opportunity to use any
native method for installing python packages.

Therefore, I recommend to remove all python package entirely from macports
to reduce any future confusion, unless all the python packages can be found
in macports repository (which is unlike to happen).

Although I'm no expert on python, to use python and any python packages, I
find that the following method the most convenient.

Download the python installation dmg from the following link for the target
Mac OS architecture.

http://www.python.org/getit/

Set the following environment variables (in bash, change it according if
you use a different shell).

export PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:$PATH
export
MANPATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/share/man:$MANPATH

Install easy_install by following instructions here

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools#cygwin-mac-os-x-linux-other

Install all python packages using easy_install. For example, to install
mercurial (for that matter, I also recommend removing mercurial from
macports), run the following command.

easy_install -U mercurial

Just my 2 cents.

--