Suggest removing all python packages from macports repository

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Sun Dec 11 14:41:33 PST 2011

> Once you start using macport for python packages, basically you lose the opportunity to use any native method for installing python packages.
>
> Although I'm no expert on python, to use python and any python packages, I find that the following method the most convenient.
>
> Therefore, I recommend to remove all python package entirely from macports to reduce any future confusion, unless all the python packages can be found in macports repository (which is unlike to happen).

Thanks for voicing your opinion :-) You're hinting at a problem MacPorts has. Also, I'd like to point out pip is definitely preferred over easy_install, since it appeared version 2.5.

MacPorts should consider being able to execute its install commands through pip (or the package installers of ruby and perl). MacPorts can still use specific versions of pip for each version of python, and it can download the package list for pip when doing selfupdates. It can then execute it's command and, theoretically, track the files that were installed through pip as well.

This sort of change has two potential advantages:
 * we stop duplicating packaging efforts for the modules
 * a more complete list of modules to install will be available

To our detriment, though:
 * if a module needs modified to build properly, we may have to break into pip's procedures
 * we'd be blindly supporting modules, or simply not support them
 * we'd have to map destroot/pkg commands to pip, much like the list of file installed

There's no doubt we are losing out on a whole lot as MacPorts doesn't add much when it's completely void of some python modules. Modifying MacPorts to use pip would be useful but until we're there we cannot remove packages.