Missing updated features?

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Dec 14 09:50:13 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:11, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> One is that I still need sudo to run all my macports commands.  I believe that this should no longer be necessary.
> Does doing a selfupdate not create the new macport user?  Does that have to be done manually or some other way?

If you've upgraded and aren't seeing any build errors, this feature is
probably working just fine. The macports user is used for building,
but root is still necessary for the activation of a port when the
files are moved into place. There are other discussions about not
requiring sudo to build and install, but those are regarding
non-standard installations.

> Two is that I am using OS 10.6.8, yet I have never seen a binary download.  I still always download source and then it builds.

This should indeed be the default. Can you post a transcript a port
installation? It's possible that the ports that you've installed
aren't available as pre-compiled binaries (licensing, variants, etc).
There should be a status line that states that port is trying to fetch
the binary from http://packages.macports.org/ You can browse that page
to verify that the port you're installing should be available.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448