Missing updated features?

Lawrence Velázquez larry.velazquez at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 10:02:06 PST 2011

On Dec 14, 2011, at 12:50 p.m., Arno Hautala wrote:
>> Two is that I am using OS 10.6.8, yet I have never seen a binary download.  I still always download source and then it builds.
>
> This should indeed be the default. Can you post a transcript a port
> installation? It's possible that the ports that you've installed
> aren't available as pre-compiled binaries (licensing, variants, etc).
> There should be a status line that states that port is trying to fetch
> the binary from http://packages.macports.org/ You can browse that page
> to verify that the port you're installing should be available.

Also check your macports.conf. I think "portarchivetype" has to be set to "tbz2" and "portarchivemode" set to "no". (Or both commented out or absent. My macports.conf doesn't even have "portarchivemode".)

See this thread: http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2011-November/026266.html

vq