Missing updated features?

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 14 10:12:37 PST 2011

On Dec 14, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Arno Hautala wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:11, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> One is that I still need sudo to run all my macports commands.  I believe that this should no longer be necessary.
>> Does doing a selfupdate not create the new macport user?  Does that have to be done manually or some other way?
>
> If you've upgraded and aren't seeing any build errors, this feature is
> probably working just fine. The macports user is used for building,
> but root is still necessary for the activation of a port when the
> files are moved into place. There are other discussions about not
> requiring sudo to build and install, but those are regarding
> non-standard installations.

Got it.  I misunderstood the feature.  I have not been getting build errors.

>> Two is that I am using OS 10.6.8, yet I have never seen a binary download.  I still always download source and then it builds.
>
> This should indeed be the default. Can you post a transcript a port
> installation? It's possible that the ports that you've installed
> aren't available as pre-compiled binaries (licensing, variants, etc).
> There should be a status line that states that port is trying to fetch
> the binary from http://packages.macports.org/ You can browse that page
> to verify that the port you're installing should be available.

At this point my ports are up to date.  I do have a good number of ports installed and have never noticed a binary download.  But, I will keep an eye on it, and post transcripts if anything that seems relevant comes up.

Thanks,