Missing updated features?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 10:51:29 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 13:12, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> At this point my ports are up to date.  I do have a good number of ports
> installed and have never noticed a binary download.  But, I will keep an
> eye on it, and post transcripts if anything that seems relevant comes up.

One thing to keep in mind here is that only default variants are currently
built; if you use +universal for everything, or other widely pervasive
variants like +no_x11 +quartz, it usually won't find anything prebuilt and
will have to install manually.  Likewise, if you use a non-default prefix
(that is, not /opt/local), it will always build from source:  very few
upstream software packages provide for the possibility of runtime
relocation, so MacPorts doesn't bother trying to support it.