MacPorts on Linux

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 16 12:32:40 PST 2011

Pierre,

I notice you've been filing tickets about problems installing various ports when running on Ubuntu, and I was wondering (and thought others might be wondering as well, so I'm Cc'ing the mailing list) what made you decide to run MacPorts on Linux. First, I was surprised you succeeded in installing MacPorts on Linux at all; I thought that had broken. But more than that, as you're discovering, a lot of ports and portgroups are written on the assumption that they are running on OS X, or at least Darwin. It will probably take significant effort to remove that assumption, and I'm not convinced it's worth the effort, since MacPorts is, as suggested by its name, made to run on Mac OS X, not on Linux or FreeBSD or other systems. Are none of the existing standard ways of getting software onto a Linux system suitable?

-Ryan