System Tools and UNIX Development in Xcode 4.2

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 18:48:00 PST 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 21:17, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> At http://www.macports.org/install.php, re Xcode,  it says:
>
> "Ensure that the optional components for command line development are
> installed
> ("UNIX Development", plus "System Tools" in newer versions, or "Command
> Line
> Support" in older ones)."
>
> After upgrading to Lion 4.7.2 and downloading Xcode 4.2.1 from the App
> Store, I could
> not find those components anywhere in Lion and Xcode, but my uninstall and
> rebuild
> of all my ports went OK and so did the development work I do at the
> command line.

Lion and Xcode 4 both install their respective formerly-optional components
by default now, and neither has any user-visible components; this is a
consequence of their being packaged as online-only App Store-compatible
"lumps".  MacPorts' documentation is lagging a bit behind changes to
itself, OS X, and Xcode.  (Feel free to submit documentation patches; the
lag is a consequence of being an as-time-allows community effort, and
probably of dev types generally being not so good with documenting.)