System Tools and UNIX Development in Xcode 4.2

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 18:17:30 PST 2011

At http://www.macports.org/install.php, re Xcode,  it says:

"Ensure that the optional components for command line development are installed
("UNIX Development", plus "System Tools" in newer versions, or "Command Line
Support" in older ones)."

After upgrading to Lion 4.7.2 and downloading Xcode 4.2.1 from the App Store, I could
not find those components anywhere in Lion and Xcode, but my uninstall and rebuild
of all my ports went OK and so did the development work I do at the command line.

About 6 months ago I obtained Xcode 4.0.x from my Macbook's installation disks, and
got the UNIX components from there.  Would I be correct in assuming that Xcode 4.2.1
is now bundling in those components and that the above advice is not needed for
Xcode 4.2.1?  Or are my System Tools, Command Line Support and X11 out of date?

Regards, Ian W.