FOSS cross-platform data drive encryption

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Sun Mar 25 13:34:01 PDT 2012

On 25 March 2012 20:53, bunk3m <pneukom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the references.  I was reading from TrueCrypt license v3.
>
> Your links refer to Truecrypt license 2.5.  I presume your comments are
> with regard to v3 of their license.

The TrueCrypt License v3.0's clauses VI.6 and VI.7, taken together, make it
effectively impossible for me to use TrueCrypt in compliance with the
license.

> I see that there has been some movement to review the v3 license again
> by both Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> No idea where OSI sits on this

TrueCrypt submitted their license for review, but withdrew it before it
could be rejected (which it would have been):
http://www.opensource.org/minutes20061213 .

> but Mandriva has repackaged it as RealCrypt.
> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/RealCrypt

A bold move, and arguably a questionable one.

> I didn't know about encfs.  Appreciate you sharing what you're going to
> use.

Pleasure.

Sam