Error when trying to install putty

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 13 21:04:24 PDT 2013

On Jul 13, 2013, at 19:10, Giuseppe Tumminia wrote:

> I have installed the following:
> Xcode Version 4.6.3 (4H1503)
> MacPorts 2.1.2
> Latest XQuartz
>
> My system info is:
> System Version:OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
> Kernel Version: Darwin 12.4.0
>
> I followed this steps:
> http://www.codingsteps.com/installing-and-using-putty-on-mac-os-x/

Step 5 of those instructions is running "sudo port selfupdate", which would update your MacPorts to the latest version, 2.1.3, so that's probably what you have. Running "port version" would tell you for sure.

Step 7 of those instructions is installing XQuartz. That's fine if you prefer that, but you could also have installed the xorg-server port, which is the same software, just probably a slightly newer version, and it means you can update it with MacPorts too instead of having two different software environments to need to update in different ways.

Step 9 of those instruction copies putty to the Desktop. I don't recommend that, since that copy will not get updated when you update the putty port in the future. Instead, if you must have an icon on the Desktop for this, make a symbolic link (ln -s /opt/local/bin/putty ~/Desktop/PuTTY) instead of a copy.

Step 12 of those instructions suggests copying items from inside the Xcode application bundle to /usr/bin. This should not be done. Installing the Xcode command line tools, as in step 2 of those instructions, is the correct way to get the tools installed into /usr/bin.

> at the end when i type:
>
> sudo port install putty
>
> I get this message:
>
> {{{
> Error: Unable to execute port: Could not open file:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/security/putty/Portfile
> }}}
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Not sure! For some reason, MacPorts cannot open the putty portfile. Do all ports have this problem, or only putty? (Try installing another port.) Does the portfile actually exist at the indicated path? If not, run "sudo port -v selfupdate" again and report any errors to us. If it does exist, what are its permissions, and the permissions of every directory leading up to it? If the permissions of the file or any of the directories are such that the "macports" user cannot read them, you will need to correct that. Installing MacPorts should have set things up correctly to begin with, so I don't yet know why you're experiencing a problem here. We need more information.