X11 Macports vs. XQuartz Project

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 3 12:13:17 PDT 2013

On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:57, Peter Danecek wrote:

> it's again about a fresh install of a OS X 10.8 system. I realise, there is no X11 package available from Apple anymore for this OS version. Still there two options to install X11.
>
> 	(1) org-server via MacPorts
> 	(2) the package form the XQuartz Project
>
> So what are the pros and cons for this to options.

They are both the same software, maintained by the same people at Apple. It just comes down to whether you want to be able to manage your X installation via MacPorts or want to manage it separately. For myself, I want to manage as much software with MacPorts as possible. Also, I would imagine the MacPorts version would receive updates slightly ahead of XQuartz.