X11 Macports vs. XQuartz Project

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Mon Jun 3 12:52:23 PDT 2013

On 3 Jun 2013, at 21:13, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:57, Peter Danecek wrote:
>
>> it's again about a fresh install of a OS X 10.8 system. I realise,
>> there is no X11 package available from Apple anymore for this OS
>> version. Still there two options to install X11.
>>
>> 	(1) org-server via MacPorts
>> 	(2) the package form the XQuartz Project
>>
>> So what are the pros and cons for this to options.
>
> They are both the same software, maintained by the same people at
> Apple. It just comes down to whether you want to be able to manage
> your X installation via MacPorts or want to manage it separately.
> For myself, I want to manage as much software with MacPorts as
> possible. Also, I would imagine the MacPorts version would receive
> updates slightly ahead of XQuartz.

Well, I in general prefer to use MacPorts as well.
Just, one doubt: From Mac OS X 10.5 I was used to the fact that
starting any program using X11 would start up the X11.app
automatically. How would I need to set this up with the MacPorts'
version? Is the XQuartz package setting up this already?

Thanks!
~petr