infinality patches

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:49:54 PDT 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 19:36, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> If this is a real improvement, I'd be glad to take these patches into XQuartz in its next release.

As to that, I can only suggest you see for yourself, peruse bohoomil.com and see what others say on the subject. That's how I found out about Infinality, looking around how to optimise font rendering.

>> Any idea why the display behaves as if it's a 72dpi while it claims to be 96 - or is it actually the OS X/Cocoa font rendering that is calibrated (if not hardcoded) for 72dpi?
>
> What do you mean by "display behaves as if it's a 72dpi"?  What specifically is claiming to be 72 dpi?

Nothing is claiming to be 72dpi, but I need to set Xft.dpi=72 in the X11 resources for fonts to be displayed in GtK applications at close to the same size as in OS X applications as well as in pure X11 applications like xfontsel. That's why I said the display claims to be 96dpi (according to xdpyinfo; it's 98dpi in reality) but behaves as if it's a 72dpi.

R.