The crazy thing I did to fix Yosemite performance

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 12:22:00 PST 2014

> I'm a frothing Unix geek (for about 40 years)

Heh.

I'm a frothing VAX/VMS Geek myself.  I actually scored a FORTRAN
contract in 2006.

There _are_ some advantages to OS X over UNIX.  One thing that has
always gotten me down about UNIX is that when one "installs" a new
program, it's likely to spew files all over G-d Almighty's Own
Creation.  OS X GUI applications, and many other programs are all in
these newfangled "packages" - small directory heirarchies.

However, very few UNIX distros will permit the adoption of GnuStep - a
Free Software Cocoa Clone - for the specific reason that these
packages violate the Linux Standards Base.

I myself regard these packages as solving the Linux filesystem layout
problem, not screwing it up.

Apple has lots of mailing lists that you'd find useful, all at
http://lists.apple.com/  Stuff like darwin-kernel, darwin-drivers.
Everyone there is friendly to the UNIX folk.
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail.com
http://www.warplife.com/mdc/

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.