Effect of Wireshark 2.0 using QT libraries instead of GTK

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Sun Jun 28 17:05:52 PDT 2015

On 27.06.2015 11:02 PM, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:
> Will the XQuartz/X11 windowing system still be needed?

Only for the GTK2/3 interfaces. And even then not strictly, because GTK can be
built making use of Cocoa. It's everything but perfect though, discouraged and
users shouldn't try to switch between the two implementations (the best way is
to uninstall and reinstall all ports, setting up the variants first.)

> It seems upon cursory investigation to run natively using Apple's Aqua windowing system.

This is true for qt4-mac and qt5-mac, yes. These ports are using the Cocoa
interface and don't need X11.

However, there's also at least qt4-x11, so NOT using X11 is not mandatory.
Depends on the user's choice.

> If so, since it runs natively in Aqua, will there be a MacPorts version of it?

No! Because the wireshark port already has a "qt" variant! For switching between
gtk2, gtk3 and Qt, you'll need to deactivate the current wireshark port (sudo
port deactivate wireshark) and install with the correct variant set. For the Qt
interface:

sudo port -v install wireshark +qt

Thus, the wireshark port is already good to go.

There's one caveat though. As far as I know, the Qt interface is not yet ready
to replace the GTK2/GTK3 interface because it's lacking some/most(?) features,
so I do not recommend enabling this for the current wireshark port.

I do not know off-hand how wireshark 2.0.0 will improve on this situation.

Mihai