WebKit2-GTK: quartz VS XQuartz

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Sat May 7 02:51:41 PDT 2016

Dear all,
  sorry to bump this thread but I've finally managed to compare both
webkit2gtk-gtk +quartz and default webkit2gtk-gtk +x11 just to understand
what is the fuss about Quartz VS XQuartz and I've realized the former is
definitively a better default but for some reason x11 is instead the
current preferred choice.

Not only the quartz version does not need an extra dependency that slows
things down a lot when it comes to launch a generic GTK3 app, the *always
framed* X11 variant container looks **very ugly** on Darwin, a platform
developed around design.

I am not sure why there are no pre-built gtk3 +quartz and webkit2-gtk +
quartz ports available so, beside which would work better argument, and
please note in the GTK ML everyone apparently seems to prefer the Quartz
variant, which is indeed the default one via homebrew, it would be very
nice to have these two variants pre-built as well, so that mozjs24, ffmpeg,
and highlight would be the only slow-down ports after a `port install
webkit2-gtk +quartz` operation.

Thanks in advance for considering it, as a user it would be awesome so I
can stop warning Mac Users that having a good looking GTK3 app requires at
least one hour via MacPorts due lack of pre-built quartz packages.

Best Regards