kerberos5 update error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 10 22:07:21 PDT 2016

On May 9, 2016, at 8:19 PM, Terry Barnum wrote:

> Thank you for the responses.
>
>> On May 4, 2016, at 12:55 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On May 2, 2016, at 1:39 PM, Terry Barnum wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>> All this "skipping" tell us this was not a clean build attempt, and you should clean and try again.
>>
>> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/project.html#project.tickets
> I forgot to note in my original post that I did try a 'port clean kerberos5' but no change.

Ok good. In the future, if you submit main.log files to us, make sure they are from a clean build attempt and do not contain the "skipping" lines.

> <snip>
>> You're on a 32-bit Mac running Snow Leopard, which is an unusual configuration and may be the reason why you see a failure that others don't see.
>
> It's a Macmini1,1 which I don't believe can run anything later.

That's correct. My point was that most users who run Snow Leopard do so on 64-bit Macs, and that running Snow Leopard on a 32-bit Mac like yours is therefore unusual, and may cause you to experience some issues other Snow Leopard users don't see. Now that 64-bit computers are ubiquitous, we're finding some ports have problems compiling on 32-bit computers like yours, because the developers didn't test that configuration. However, I would guess that this particular problem is not because of that.

>> More likely, perhaps, is that I see you're using llvm-gcc-4.2, which is the default MacPorts compiler with Xcode 4 on Snow Leopard. Is that the version of Xcode you're using? On Snow Leopard, the recommended version of Xcode is 3.2.6.
>
> Yes, Xcode 4.2 is installed. It was a long time ago but I probably looked at <https://developer.apple.com/downloads/?name=Xcode> and downloaded the last version for Snow Leopard which is listed there as 4.2.

Yes, Xcode 4.2 is the last version of Xcode for Snow Leopard, but Xcode 4.x for Snow Leopard was not free; you had to pay a developer program membership fee to Apple to get access to those versions. Since most MacPorts users don't do that, Xcode 4.x for Snow Leopard is not as well tested as Xcode 3.2.6, which is the last free version for Snow Leopard.

> To downgrade to 3.2.6 will it be as simple as dumping the /Developer directory, downloading Xcode 3.2.6 and trying kerberos5 again? Or will I need to uninstall all ports and start over?

Follow the Xcode uninstallation instructions provided by Apple in the About Xcode.pdf file. There's a script your run in the terminal, which knows what all needs to be deleted. Then, since you're going to downgrade, you restart the computer before reinstalling the older Xcode.

You don't need to reinstall MacPorts or all ports. There may be one or two ports that have baked knowledge of your Xcode version into their files; if so, those ports would need to be rebuilt.